top of page
The Owl Bar
a casual venue
The Owl Bar was built in 1903 as part of the original Belvedere, and was known simply as the Bar at The Belvedere. Lined with spittoons, bookmakers, and rough talk, the bar was hardly a place for ladies and was open only to men. However, in the 1930’s
with the institution of Prohibition the bar became more lax, and allowed women, as well as whiskey. The Owl Bar quickly became Baltimore’s most notorious speakeasy and then bar owner, Colonel Consolvo brought in the infamous owl statues. When the Belvedere’s basement was stocked with whiskey, the owl’s eyes would wink. Later, in the 1970’s, the bar was reopened as
The Owl Bar and after a long search the original owls were returned to their home to watch over the owl patrons.
bottom of page